Monday, May 19, 2014

Godzilla (2014)



Overall: 6

Entertainment: 2
I know. How could I enjoy Pacific Rim (it got an 11 on my review rubric) and dislike Godzilla? In a nutshell, Godzilla had an inferior plot, less engaging main character, less attractive visuals, and it made the mistake of taking itself too seriously.

That last point is important. Like a comic movie, a monster movie needs to balance how it presents itself versus how seriously it takes itself. Godzilla's failure to be truly scary (really...there was not a seriously scary/suspenseful moment in two hours) made taking itself seriously kind of silly. As a result, I couldn't suspend my disbelief, and was fairly bored during most of the movie.

Writing: 1
Since I assume you are not going to watch this monstrosity of a movie (see what I did there  :) after reading this highly credible review, I'm going to pitch a few spoilers out there for this section only. Just FYI.

One of the primary flaws in the writing is the use of impersonal villains (giant monsters "MUTOs" that don't really care whether or not they harm civilization). Godzilla was no different. He lumbered around hunting the MUTOs and was kind of the hero...sorta...but also the villain. The truth is that monsters only work as villains when people are the real prey--think of the velociraptors and people in Jurassic Park. It turns out when the monsters don't care about eating the characters in the monster movie, they aren't that interesting and the show isn't fun.

There is plenty more I could tear into, like a limited plot, a main character who was dull, logical flaws designed only to forward the plot, etc., but I think you have the idea.

Presentation: 3
Many will say the visuals were very good, and they were to some extent. However, I did not enjoy the overly-cluttered, almost 70s flair of the movie. The destruction looked pretty good, but destruction is only good in a movie where you care if characters get hurt; and, as I mentioned previously, you don't care about anyone in this movie despite usable acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment