Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Grandmaster (2013)



Overall: 7
The are several great movies inspired by the life of Yip Man, the martial artist who was one of Bruce Lee's mentors. This is unfortunately not one of them. I am not exceptionally knowledgeable about Chinese culture or history, but I am not completely ignorant on this front either.

I felt like this movie was modeled after some kind of Chinese opera; it seemed more like a series of loosely connected events in one man's life than an actual story. The result was a less than captivating experience. Please note, I have not read any reviews on this movie, and perhaps other's thoughts and historical insights would have helped me more fully appreciate what this film intended to accomplish.

Entertainment: 2
An unengaging protagonist combined with an incomprehensible story and less entertaining fight scenes to create a low entertainment environment.

Writing: 2
The writing had various beautiful points in individual lines, but was overall disjointed.

Presentation: 3
This movie is often beautiful in style, but spent way too many moments watching feet slide across the flooring, etc. The acting was generally flat for me, though perhaps the cultural gap led me to miss the point. That said, I have watched many films in Mandarin before, and good acting generally shines through despite the language gap.



No comments:

Post a Comment