Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Divergent (2014)



Overall: 13

Entertainment: 5
Divergent is one of those movies critics love to hate--I am often a rough critic myself--but this film surprised me by being a really enjoyable watch. There is some items that involved real suspension of disbelief, but I think those were holdovers from the book that did not translate well onto the big screen (read jumping off moving trains as standard practice, etc.). Still, I had a good time watching this one.

Writing: 4
I can see where the critics complain that this story is like all other teen movies right now. The movie is set in a dystopian future, the teen protagonist (Tris) is angsting about who she is and who she should be, and there is an obligatory love story element. However, I agree with the argument that there are really no new stories anymore. Most are about the same age-old problems involved in the human condition. The differences are largely setting, timing, and stylistic in nature.

Again, don't listen to the critics. Divergent is both a decent love story and an interesting coming of age story as well.

Presentation: 4
Mixed bag here. The visuals look fairly decent, but don't always add up (e.g. future Chicago with turbines all over the buildings?).

The acting and look of Shailene Woodley (Tris) and Theo James (Four), however, come across very well on screen. They sold their characters well, and I found myself rooting for them throughout the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment